The Education Programs offered by the Marian University School of Education are approved by the:
Marian University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission .
Educational Technology Program Mission
The mission of the Educational Technology program is to educate candidates in the field of technology integration by providing candidates with the knowledge base necessary to transform curricula and teaching practices for the 21st century. Candidates examine current educational trends, issues, ethics, and theory while meeting teaching and technology standards in order to meet the changing needs of all students.
Program Learning Outcomes:
After completion of this program, candidates will:
- Understand the teaching standards, including the dispositions expected of professional educators, that are able to accurately describe, assess, and reflect on best practices as they pertain to their development as teachers.
- Make commitments to engage in ongoing professional development as master degree candidates that focus on teaching strategies, technology integration, and learner outcomes. In addition, the candidates must maintain a 3.0 GPA.
- Be able to design instruction, effectively use a variety of instructional strategies, and adapt instruction to encourage the development of critical thinking, problem solving, and performance skills of all students.
- Continually examine and evaluate technology and the impact it has on student learning. Candidates will collaborate with peers, professional colleagues, and community members while designing multimedia projects to promote effective teaching and student learning.
- Have knowledge and skills in researching, planning, budgeting, reporting, and evaluating grant proposals integrating technology. The major emphasis is on the application of analytical thinking, problem solving, persuasive writing, collaborating, and assessing outcomes through practical experience to obtain funding for project initiatives.
- Demonstrate understanding of the technology tools used to create and maintain online courses, best practices for online teaching and learning, and develop their own online course/unit.
- Demonstrate current best practices in the integration of mobile technology and learning through productivity and classroom work flow. Candidates will meet the diverse needs of their students through learning extensions.
Online Teaching Certificate Program Learning Outcomes:
The Online Teaching Certificate Program Learning Outcomes are aligned with the Wisconsin Department of Instruction Guidelines for an Online Learning Certificate. After completion of this program, candidates will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) National Educational Technology Standards (NETS), the knowledge, skills and dispositions expected of professional educators and be able to accurately describe, assess, and reflect on best practices as they pertain to their development as online instructors.
- Demonstrate the pedagogy, methodology, facilitation methods, and assessment methods necessary for effective instruction in the online environment. The candidates demonstrate understanding of the technology tools used to create and maintain online courses, best practices for online teaching and learning, and develop their own online course/unit.
The educational technology program is a truly innovative offering that will put you at the forefront of this dynamic field. As a student in the program, you’ll examine current educational trends, issues, ethics and theory while meeting teaching and technology standards – and fulfilling the changing needs of your students. You’ll be equipped with the knowledge and skills to integrate technology and participatory learning in today’s dynamic educational systems. You’ll learn collaboratively with peers, professional colleagues and community members as you design projects that allow you to apply your knowledge, promote effective teaching and enhance student learning. Upon completion of the program, you’ll receive a Technology Integration Coaching Certificate and be prepared to lead and coach your colleagues in professional development settings.
EDT 650 Foundations of Educational Technology, 3 cr.
EDT 652 Innovations in Education, 3 cr.
EDT 654 Educational Telecommunications, 3 cr.
EDT 655 Developing Grant Proposals Integrating Technology, 3 cr.
EDT 658 Teaching and Learning with Multimedia, 3 cr.
EDT 661 Educational Hardware and Systems Support, 3 cr.
EDT 670 Mobile Learning, 3 cr.
EDT 672 Teaching and Learning Online, 3 cr.
EDT 674 Learning with Technology: Effective Strategies, 3 cr.
EDT 680 Technology and Leadership in the Information Age, 3 cr.
For more details regarding this program, view Marian’s Academic Bulletin.
You might also be interested in these programs:
As a student pursuing your M.A.E. degree, you’ll find the relevancy and quality that comes from a faculty comprised of leading education and technology experts. Designed to meet the academic and professional needs of working adults looking to advance their careers, the educational technology program will deliver to you the kind of powerful preparation and convenience that is hard to match. The program is offered in a hybrid and 100% online format, providing you the flexibility to earn your degree without sacrificing your current position and other responsibilities. Courses run every 6-7 weeks throughout the fall, spring and summer, and you can complete the program in as few as 18 months.
To receive the Master of Arts in Education degree with an Educational Technology emphasis, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Completion of the coursework or its equivalent with a minimum GPA of 3.00 (on a 4.00 scale)
- Grades below C are not counted toward meeting degree requirements
- Successful completion of all three program gates
- Submit an application for degree completion
The best part about Marian's education program was its customization around my needs. All of the instructors made sure to find a way to help me connect the lessons, activities, and assignments to my role as an educator, helping me see the relevance in the work.
I loved the variety of different ways to show my understanding. During the course of my study, I made flipped videos, created interactive e-books, and designed entire online units, all made possible by the urging of my instructors and cohort. Each task could be tailored to meet the needs of my staff and students, which meant everything I did in the Marian education program had immediate relevance and value in my role.
All of the courses during my Marian education program added a new set of skills to my teaching toolkit. Whether it was discovering the right angle to a successful grant or developing new technology coaching strategies, I have turned into a more well-rounded teacher, colleague, and coach, all thanks to the unique offerings in the program.
Marian does a phenomenal job helping their students form goals that shape how they grow as learners and future leaders, making sure prospective graduates have a vision in mind of who they want to be and what they want to do after they finish their program.
I could not recommend Marian more for educators considering enrolling - the skills I developed were immediately implementable, immensely valuable, and influence my instruction and learning daily.