13th Annual Symposium: Clash of Extremes: Is Our World Big Enough for All of Us?
February 10, 2016
Clash of Extremes: A Political Perspective
April 5, 2016
Marcus Gentry's I Have a Dream: A King's Journey
12th Annual Symposium: The Pursuit of Happiness: is it possible in our violent world?
March 24, 2015
The Paradox of Happiness Amidst Violence; Sr. Anabel Torres, CSA; Sr Madeline Gianforte, CSA; Sr. Mary Ann Czaja, CSA
March 25, 2015
- The Philosophical Pursuit of Happiness in a Violent World on a Mystical Mean between Knowledge and Ignorance; Michael Taylor, Ph.D.
- Insight about Happiness from Literature and Etymology; Jerry Burns, Ph.D. Professor of English
- Happiness is a Destination Not a Residence: How our expectations of happiness betray our interactions with happiness; John Jandrin, Marian University doctoral student & Social Studies teacher in Sturgeon Bay
- A Personal Journey Toward Wholeness: Learning to live a life of deep joy and peace; Sr. Madeline Gianforte, CSA Co-Founder/Co-Executive Director of CORE/El Centro
- Pope Francis on Joy; Gina Loehr, M.A. Adjunct Faculty Member
- Defining Happiness: A global perspective; Students in COM 302 Intercultural Communication taught by Mary Klein, Ph.D. Professor of Communication
- The Happiness Diet; Michael A. Ketterhagen, Ph.D. Associate Professor of Theology
- Intervention and Prevention: A specialized police response to mental health crises; Captain Kristen Roman Captain of Police Community Outreach, Madison Police Department
- The "I" in TEAM: Seven ways to bring happiness in collaborative settings; Garry Moïse, M.S., Program Director, TRIO Upward Bound Math & Science Program
- How to Make Peace? It begins with our own minds; Rebecca McAllister, DNP, FNP-BC, APNP, Assistant Professor of Nursing
- Socratic Seminar: Pursuit of happiness; Jennifer Krueger, M.S., Director of First Year Studies Program
- Happiness While Homeless; Sr. Mary Ann Czaja, CSA Founder & Director of Tarboro Community Outreach Homeless Shelter and Pantry
- CANTERA-Building Dreams in the Pursuit of Happiness; Sr. Anabel Torres, CSA Founder & Director of Cantera
- Concussions: Football's Silent Partner and Player Killer; James T. Gray, J.D. Associate Professor of Sport and Recreation Management
11th Annual Symposium: What is the Next "American Dream?"
April 8, 2014
Keynote Speaker: Myles Rademan
April 9, 2014
- Defining the American Dream: A Student Perspective; Mary Klein, Ed.D.
- Will Going Green Become the New American Dream? John Morris, Ph.D.
- Some Assembly Required: How Literary Voices Can Help Us Construct the Future American Dream; Jerry Burns , Ph.D.
- Practical Theological Approaches to American Dream Problems: Poverty in the Material United States and Unequal Pay for Women; Michael Ketterhagen, Ph.D.
- Sounds and Scenes of the American Dream at Marian; Vicky Hildebrandt, M.S.
- The American Dream and the Environment - Panel Discussion; Karl McCarty, David Melum, John Morris, Ph.D., Rick Slager, Moderator: Myles Rademan
- Dreaming Aloud/Allowed; Jerry Burns, Ph.D., and Friends singing songs Celebrating & Critiquing the American Dream
- Choose Wisely: Making Decisions for the Common Good; Gary Boelhower, Ph.D.
- The American Dream from a Native American's Perspective; Jessica Ryan, J.D.
- Generational Perspectives on the American Dream - Panel Discussion; Courtney Clark, Michelle O'Brien, Mary Patricia Voell, Moderator: Myles Rademan
- How has the "American Dream" Worked for Biodiversity Conservation? And How Could it be Re-Envisioned? Bill Mueller of the Western Great Lakes
- The Christian American Dream; Michael Ketterhagen, PH.D.
- Dreaming American: The Immigrants We Are; Shane Boeder, Ph.D.
- Inequality: Impact on Quality of Life - Panel Discussion; Quintin E. Sullivan, Ph.D. Elizabeth Manser Payne, M.B.A., Moderator: Myles Rademan
- Practical Theological Approaches to American Dream Problems; Michael Ketterhagen, Ph.D.
10th Annual Symposium: Freedom of Speech vs. Civility: Where does the one end and the other begin?
April 09, 2013
April 10, 2013
- "Internationality of Civility Class Presentations"; Keith Fairchild (Instructor of English, Marian University)
- "Freedom of Speech and Civility Implications for Artistic Expression"; Dr. Arthur Pontynen (Smithsonian Fellow and Heritage Foundation Fellow) with the Marian Art Department
- "Freedom of Speech, Civility, and Truth at Marian University"; Panel Discussion; Moderator: Dr. Sheryl Ayala (Professor of Biology, Marian University); Panelists: Angie Vis '14, Dr. Jeffrey Reed (Dean of the School of Business & Public Safety and Professor of Business, Marian University), John St. Peter (Attorney), Shane Leach (Residence Hall Director, Marian University), and Dr. Edward Ogle (Executive Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs, Marian University)
Ninth Annual Symposium: Is a University Really Necessary? Does It Need to Change?
- November 15, 2011
Pre-symposium panel; Dr. Carl Kalwaitis (Associate Professor of Philosophy at Marian University), Dr. Thomas Pleger (Professor and Associate Vice Chancellor Emeritus at UW Madison), and Dr. Richard Barrows (Campus Executive Officer and Dean at UW-Baraboo/Sauk County)
- February 07, 2012
Pre-Symposium panel; William Lamb (Chief of Police, City of Fond du Lac), Carolyn Ziebert (Clinical Nurse Specialist, Children's Hospital and Health System), Jim Krahn (Vice President of Specialty Packaging Group), and Dr. Michael Doherty (Information Technology Program Director, Marian University)
- March 26, 2012
Keynote speaker: Dr. Charles Murray
Dr. Murrayis a Political Scientist, author and libertarian. He has been an AEI Scholar since 1990 and a noted education author with co-authoring "The Bell Curve" in 1994 and "Real Education" in 2008.
- March 27, 2012
Keynote speaker: Dr. Douglas Bennett
Dr. Bennett is Professor Emeritus and Professor of Politics at Earlham College, where he served as President from 1997-2011. He serves on the National Advisory Panel for the National Institute for Learning Outcomes Assessment.
Eighth Annual Symposium: 21st Century Healthcare: Facts, Myths, Implications, and Ethics